Nanny Cay, Tortola, BVI…our new home. This is where we waited while Kelly flew home, this is where we’re waiting while Tropical Storm Matthew buzzes by directly south of us. It’s grey and windy (25-30 with gust to 40 knots) but that’s all. Nothing scary. Manageable. Canvas is secured, sails wrapped tightly, all dock lines doubled, SOP (standard operating procedure). We’re heeling at 5-10 degrees in the slip. Reading, games, snacks, again…SOP.
We left Bitter End, Virgin Gorda, BVI with a day trip to Anagada to see the flamingoes in mind but after seeing the progress of then INVEST97, now TS Matthew, we thought a half day cushion wasn’t enough time to get hunkered down and weathering a tropical storm anchored on Anagada, the farthest east and most exposed spot out here, wasn’t our cup of tea. So, off to Road Town to tie up and check out the capital of the BVI on foot. No such luck. The only non charter boat Marina even answering the VHF said we were welcome to spend the night tied to the outside, exposed, concrete, fuel dock but would have to leave if the weather got nasty! Thanks but no….
Back to visit our dear Nanny Cay. The bartenders know us personally by now. The kids know all the climbing trees and local semi feral cats by name. We’re comfortable here and the Madame is safe.
Irony being a big part of seemingly everything we do on this journey we find ourselves the only transient sailing boat here in the Virgin Islands- where there is major danger of encountering tropical weather. Everyone else living this life is in Grenada or the ABC islands (Aruba, Bonaire and Curaçao) where hurricanes haven’t gone in decades or in the Northeast US where hurricanes are less likely to go. All of these places are exactly where Matthew is headed.
I would never suggest we know what we’re doing or made a better plan than everyone else. Just that irony, luck and chance continue to rule this life for us. In hindsight, those would’ve been good names for our kids as well.
Stay tuned. Much love.